Department of Public Works Director
This is highly responsible professional and administrative work in the direction of the Department of Public Service. Work involves responsibility for planning, organizing and directing a multi-function department engaged in such diverse activities as engineering, street and storm sewer maintenance, water distribution, wastewater collection and transmission, automotive repair and maintenance, buildings and grounds maintenance, and forestry activities. Assignments emphasize development of immediate and long- range plans for public works improvements, and the implementation of these plans in accordance with modern public works management principles. General direction is given to subordinate supervisors with detailed assistance given on complex technical problems. Work is performed under the general guidance of the Mayor, in accordance with City, State, and Federal policies, rules, and regulations applicable to specific areas of program activity. Work is reviewed through conferences and reports for overall program effectiveness and efficiency.
Work/ Duties and Responsibilities :
- Plans, organizes, directs, and evaluates the activities of the streets, water, sewer, building, grounds, and automotive with the department of Public Works Superintendent and Supervisor.
- Confers with Superintendent and Supervisors to discuss work programs and problems; gives administrative and technical direction as necessary; informs the Mayor of activities through written and oral reports.
- Directs the long range of public work programs; prepares with assistance of subordinates, operating and capital budget requests; administers and controls the departmental budget.
- Interviews and hires new employees; evaluates the performance of subordinates; initiates disciplinary actions; recommends the dismissal of departmental personnel; administers labor contracts.
- Oversees major construction projects performed by contractors; conducts regular instructions to ensure that projects meet specifications.
- Meets with developers and consultants, contractors, and citizens to resolve problems concerning building, zoning, and engineering codes, ordinances and general requirements; complies data and prepares comprehensive reports for the Michigan Department of Highways and Transportation on a regular basis.
- Prepares studies to determine the feasibility and desirability of initiating public works projects, organizational changes, and new standard and procedures.
- Analyze data to resolve operating problems pertaining to the flow and control of traffic, recommending construction, ordinances or alternative approaches for approval by the Council.
- Attends meetings of the City Council, commissions, and committees to present information to aid in decision making; represents the city at meetings with County, State and Federal officials; speaks on behalf of the City at public and civic meetings.
- Meets with sales representatives from various suppliers and prepares specifications and requisitions, submitting for approval the purchase of necessary department materials, equipment, and services.
- Attends seminars, conferences, and professional meetings and reads various trade publications to keep informed of the latest methods, techniques, and equipment in the public works fields.
- Performs other related work, as required by the Mayor
High school graduate, preferably with college degree or course work in Public Works or related areas
- Preferred Certified Engineering Technologist
- Preferred S1 License
- Experience as a public works supervisor for a minimum of 5 years
To apply, please submit your cover letter, resume and an official application to the Human Resource Department, 6045 Fenton, Dearborn Heights, Michigan 48127. Also, include your salary requirement.
ENTRY LEVEL POLICE OFFICERStarting salary $40,000 ($62,086.77 after 5 years of service)
Must be at least 18 years of age and possess a valid, non-restricted Michigan driver’s license. All applicants must have the following documentation at the time of application:
- College transcripts indicating 60 hours of college credit in criminal justice. For applicants who do not have 60 college credits completed, please submit proof of employment as a full-time police officer. Applicants with three years of full-time employment as a police officer do not have the college education requirement. Each year of full-time employment as a police officer will replace 20 college credits in the education requirement. Therefore, candidates may have a combination of college credits and police officer work experience.
- Proof of completion of the Police Academy or proof of current enrollment in the Academy
- For applicants who have completed the Academy, a letter from MCOLES proving certification or ability to be certified
- EMPCO test score (or proof of registration for future exam)
- A copy of MCOLES physical agility certification. To clarify, all candidates must have a current MCOLES physical agility certification or must be registered for the upcoming examination at the time of application.
An official application must be submitted IN PERSON and may be obtained online at http://www.egovlink.com/public_documents300/dearbornheights/published_documents/Forms/HR/Employment%20Application_Police_Fire.pdf or from Human Resource Department, 6045 Fenton, Dearborn Heights.ACT 78 CIVIL SERVICE PROCESS:
- Must pass Civil Service written examination administered by Dearborn Heights OR EMPCO written examination with a score of 70% or higher
- Must pass an Oral Interview with a score of 70% of higher.
- Must pass background check.
- Must pass post-offer physical examination with a drug/alcohol screening.
Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until posted otherwise.
To schedule complete a profile and take the EMPCO test for these position, go to https://www.empco.net/testing/ and follow the instructions. There is a fee to take the examination, but results of this one test will be accepted by all participating police departments in Michigan.
The City of Dearborn Heights is an Equal Opportunity Employer.