Must be at least 18 years of age and possess a valid, non-restricted Michigan driver’s license. All applicants must have the following documentation at the time of application:
- College transcripts indicating 60 hours of college credit in criminal justice. For applicants who do not have 60 college credits completed, please submit proof of employment as a full-time police officer. Applicants with three years of full-time employment as a police officer do not have the college education requirement. Each year of full-time employment as a police officer will replace 20 college credits in the education requirement. Therefore, candidates may have a combination of college credits and police officer work experience.
- Proof of completion of the Police Academy or proof of current enrollment in the Academy
- For applicants who have completed the Academy, a letter from MCOLES proving certification or ability to be certified
- EMPCO test score (or proof of registration for future exam)
- A copy of MCOLES physical agility certification. To clarify, all candidates must have a current MCOLES physical agility certification or must be registered for the upcoming examination at the time of application.
- Must pass Civil Service written examination administered by Dearborn Heights OR EMPCO written examination with a score of 70% or higher
- Must pass an Oral Interview with a score of 70% of higher.
- Must pass background check.
- Must pass post-offer physical examination with a drug/alcohol screening.
Part-time Employment Opportunities
The City of Dearborn Heights is seeking a Pension Administrator that would be responsible for the administration of the Act 34 Police & Fire retirement plan as well as the General Government retirement plan. This administrator would maintain plan records and ensures compliance with local, state and federal regulations. Job duties would also involve communication with employees and retirees and assist in benefit application and distributions. The Administrator will participate at monthly pension board meetings.
Qualifications: Minimum of 3 years pension administration. Preferred a bachelor's degree. Must have familiarity with accounting, pension systems and benefits.
Required Hours/Rate of Pay: 28 hours per week at $35 per hour
Senior Citizen Coordinator:
The City of Dearborn Heights is seeking a part-time Senior Citizen Coordinator for the Eton Center.
Nature of work duties:
Job summary: Responsible for planning, organizing and directing senior citizen programs. Also responsible for building management and staff management. Work performed under the general direction of the Deputy Director and the Director of the Department.
- Supervision of part-time clerical and custodial staff and supervision and recruitment of volunteers.
- Prepares staff schedules, work assignments and makes recommendations on personnel, supplies, building improvements, equipment and other operational matters.
- Duties include planning, organizing, direction and supervision of all senior programs, as well as communication with senior citizens, senior citizen clubs and other groups.
- Responsible for public relations and advertising, attending Senior Council and Commission on Aging meetings and other meetings that are assigned by the Deputy Director or Director.
- Completes maintenance work orders, opens and closes the building, and responds to emergencies.
- Must act as a liaison between agencies that provide services that focus on senior citizens and complete duties that include correspondence and reports related to programming.
- Must administer programs, procedures and policies of the Department in accordance with standards set by Deputy Director or the Director and performs other duties as assigned by them.
Summer Recreation Staff Positions:
The City has multiple opportunities for those who have an interest in supporting our Summer Recreation Programs. Employment opportunities include park rangers, summer camp supervisors and aides, and playground supervisors and aides. Applications are being accepted now through May 17, 2021.
Bus Driver for Senior Center Trips:
Under general direction of the Recreation Director and Deputy Director, bus drivers operates motor coaches to transport passengers in a safe, efficient and courteous manner. Drivers are responsible for collecting fares and completing necessary inspections and reports.Bus drivers may be required:
- To assist disabled passengers into and out of vehicle.
- To secure passengers' wheelchairs to restraining devices to stabilize wheelchairs during trip.
- To operate radio or similar device to communicate with base station or other vehicles to report disruption of service.
- To keep records of trips and behavior of passengers.
To apply, please submit an application, resume and cover letter to the Human Resource Department no later than Monday, April 26 at 5 p.m.
The City of Dearborn Heights is an Equal Opportunity Employer.