20th District Court
20th District Court
25637 Michigan Avenue, Dearborn Heights, MI 48125 313.277.7480
Mark J. Plawecki
District Court Chief Judge
David D. Turfe
District Court Judge
Helpful Resources while partially closed:
* Please visit https://michiganlegalhelp.org/ for legal help & court forms*
**(explanation letter/form) may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
** May email email@example.com for hearing request on civil infraction/parking tickets only
** May email firstname.lastname@example.org for general questions ONLY (no filings) for General Civil, Small Claims, or Landlord Tenant cases
**Payments may be made online visit GovPayNOW using PLC 6715, or by postal mail.
**For Civil matters, a great resource visit: Michigan’s Community Dispute Resolution Program (CDRP) centers, called “MI-Resolve can be accessed by visiting https://wcdrc.org/ for more information
***** CLOSED TO PUBLIC EXCEPT FOR ESSENTIAL PARTIES FOR SCHEDULED HEARINGS ******
- ALL Civil filings must be mailed to the 20th District Court with the correct filing fee and must include a self-addressed stamped envelope for return mail.
**** EMERGENCY NOTICE **** (Please read) - Updated March 23, 2020
In the wake of the Declaration of Emergency by Governor Whitmer regarding the spread of the COVID-19 virus, until further notice, the 20th District Court will remain partially open for essential matters until 2 pm daily beginning March 24, 2020, but the following intermediate steps will be immediately in effect in the 20th District Court.com
ALL walk-in explanation hearings Monday, Wednesday & Friday have been postponed/suspended.
1) All walk-in explanation hearing are postponed/suspended. A letter of explanation will be accepted by mail or email at email@example.com (explanation letter/form)
2) All Jury trials are cancelled. Court will notify parties of new date.
3) All General Civil, Small Claims proceedings, and Landlord Tenant cases including trials, mediation and motions are cancelled. Court will notify parties of new date.
****The Michigan Supreme Court started a new online platform for resolving minor disputes (small claims, L/T, neighborhood, and general civil matters) through Michigan’s Community Dispute Resolution Program (CDRP) centers, called “MI-Resolve.” This service may be particularly helpful to litigants who may wish to try resolve their dispute(s) during the Covid-19 crisis without leaving their homes. **** Please visit https://wcdrc.org/ for more information.
4) All Informal/Formal or Plea hearings for civil infractions and ordinance cases are cancelled. Court will notify parties of new date.
5) With regard to other misdemeanor cases, you may be notified by the court that your case has been adjourned either by mail or phone notification.
6) Probation reporting will be done via telephone. In-person reporting will be postponed/suspended until further notice. Please contact the probation department for more information at (313) 277-7138.
7) If you have a scheduled presentence investigation or alcohol assessment, contact the probation department.
8) All in-custody Felonies and misdemeanor cases shall continue as scheduled. All other hearings are on a case by case basis and the court will notify parties
*** Those individuals who fail to appear without having contacted the court first, may be defaulted in civil cases, or have a bench warrant issued in criminal cases. Failure to answer a traffic/parking citation within 15 days will be defaulted ***
Visitors will be screened by court security to determine whether the visit is absolutely necessary based on the following criteria:
* Essential parties for in-custody arraignments will be admitted
* Essential parties for scheduled in-custody matters will be admitted
The following individuals will not be given access to the building as they will be considered non-essential parties:
* Any individual without regular business in the court
* Any individual accompanying an individual with a scheduled court date
* Children (Unless the child is a party to a court case)
* Individuals with general questions - May call (313) 277-7480 for questions
* Individuals wishing to make a payment - payments made be made online at
www.20thdistrictcourt.com or by mail
* Admitting with an explanation - may submit a letter of explanation via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
or by mail within 15 days.
* Requesting an informal/formal hearing - you may email your request via email@example.com or send request via postal mail within 15 days.
We understand that this is unique and unprecedented situation and want to do everything we can to ensure the safety of our court employees and everyone who comes to the court. The goal is to lower the risk and protect coworkers, family, friends from the spread of the virus. Our goal is to keep our workforce & patrons healthy, and maintain essential operations over the coming weeks and months. That being said, please do not come to the court if:
- You are sick
- Have been exposed to someone who has been sick
- Have a compromised immune system
- Have traveled internationally within the last 14 days
** Limited Staff is available to process online payments and check email correspondence and perform essential functions. We encourage users to make payments online, request court dates, submit letters of explanations via email or postal mail. **
Please contact the court if you have any questions at (313) 277-7480
Monday - Friday
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
**** ARRAIGNMENTS Monday - Friday at 9:00 am ****(Court Holidays)
LOCATION25637 Michigan Avenue, Dearborn Heights, MI 48125
Southeast corner of Michigan Ave & Beech Daly