Department of Public Works
William Zimmer, Director
24600 Van Born, Dearborn Heights, MI 48125
313-791-6000, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions about Rubbish Pick-Up?
If you have questions about Rubbish Pickup, please call the Department of Public Works at 313-791-6000. Click Here for the Cart Placement Letter . Click here for the Newsletter containing Rubbish pickup information.
Trash and Recycling containers should be placed between the sidewalk and the street. Placement can either be in the apron/approach or on the grass. Carts should NOT be on the street. Carts that are on the street will be placed back onto the homeowners property.
Yard waste season started on April 1st and will end the second week of December.
Ann Arbor Trail Hazelton to Telegraph road repair project is scheduled to begin the week of April 24th. Preliminary work (saw cutting) will begin early in the week but tear out could begin by end of week. Expected 4 weeks until completion.
2017 Holiday Trash Schedule
- New Year's Day 2017
- Memorial Day 2017
- Independence Day 2017
- Labor Day 2017
- Thanksgiving Day 2017
- Christmas Day 2017
Wayne County has announced the dates for their Household Hazardous Waste Collections, please see attached flyers for more information:
Purchasing additional trash or recycle containers
If you would like to purchase additional Trash or Recycle Containers, please click here to fill out the form. You can then mail it to the Mayor's Office at 6045 Fenton, Dearborn Heights, MI 48127 along with the payment. Containers can also be purchased by returning the form in person to the DPW or the Mayor's Office Monday - Thursday, 8 am -5 pm.
ABOUT THE DPW
We have three departments that make up the Department of Public Works; Water Dept., Highway Dept., Building & Maintenance Dept.
- Responsible for the maintenance of 1400 miles of water, sewer, and storm lines.
- Repair all water main breaks, any season, any time of the day.
- Repair water services to houses and install services to newly build houses.
- Maintain entire sewer system throughout the community.
- Install all water meters, and get readings of usage from each home, and business in the community.
- Repair any excavated sites from work they perform.
- Equipment includes: Backhoes, trenching equipment, large and small dump trucks, jet trucks.
- Maintain and repair 1522 fire hydrants and valves, 2129 gates.
- Snow and ice removal on all city streets.
- Street sweeping (we sweep every city street once a week weather permitting)
- Maintain all city street signs, installation, removal, replacement, etc.
- Tree trimming and removals.
- Do temporary repair of streets. (Cold patch material)
BUILDING AND MAINTENANCE
When does DPW plow streets?
- Responsible for any and all maintenance for 28 city owned buildings.
- Maintain 9 city parks throughout the community.
- Responsible for cutting and maintaining 500 acres of grass.
- Install voting booths for elections and disassemble of each.
- On 24-hour call to perform snow & ice removal around all city building and parking lots.
- Set ups for all city special events.How many miles of roads?
- City trucks will start plowing when snow accumulates 3 or more inches.
- Trucks will salt all major streets and around school after 1 inch.5.623 Miles of State trunk line - 154.76 Miles of Local - 30.06 Miles of Major.Facts about water main breaks:The water department has between 200 and 250 main breaks per year.
Main breaks can happen any time of the year, but the majority will break during the colder months when frost enters the ground and cause ground shifting. Also water pressure changes from warmer to colder months.
Click here to see the 2014 Water Department Service Fees