Sitemap | Account Login

20TH DISTRICT COURT                                                                                                       

25637 Michigan Avenue,  Dearborn Heights,  MI 48125                                                                   313.277.7480 


General Civil Division


Small Claims Division





**** EFFECTIVE MARCH 1, 2016 ****

Please be advised that the Michigan legislature recently passed Electronic Filing Legislation.  The legislation requires District Courts to collect an “electronic filing system fee” in addition to the existing filing fees when commencing an action in the District Court, regardless of whether the action is filed electronically.

The increase in the filing fees are as follows:

  • $10.00 for a new General Civil or Landlord Tenant Case   (without money judgment)
  • $20.00 for new Landlord Tenant (with money judgment)
  • $5.00 for new Small Claims cases



The 20th District Court has jurisdiction over landlord/tenant disputes (non-payment of rent or eviction cases), land contracts  and/or mortgage forfeitures where damages are less than $25,000.00.

The information on this web-site is designed to provide citizens with a basic explanation of landlord/tenant procedures.  It serves as a reference tool and is intended to provide general guidelines to both landlords and tenants, it is not a substitute for legal advice.

The icon above links to A Practical Guide for Tenants and Landlords a booklet designed to inform tenants and landlords about their rights and responsibilities in rental relationships.

Legal action may be initiated by:

  • Obtaining and completing the appropriate forms available at the court;  and
  • Paying the appropriate  filing & service fees.

You should be aware that:

  • Court Clerks are not attorneys and cannot give legal advice and cannot assist you in filling out forms.
  • The Judges and Magistrates may not, and will not, give advice on matters they may have to rule on; they must remain impartial.

Further information may be obtained by contacting the Civil Division at 313.277.7482 or by visiting the legal help  links provided below.



 SCAO Self-Help 

Landlord Tenant